The symbol of the fraternal society known as the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, aka Odd Fellows, is three links of a chain. The society is sometimes known as the Triple Link Fraternity.
The three links may contain the letters FLT, which stand for Friendship, Love, and Truth.
The Odd Fellows has been called the “poor man’s Freemasons” and was (and may still be) the second largest fraternal organization, second to the Freemasons.
The Odd Fellows was established in England in the 1700s as a working-class social and benevolent association to help widows and orphans. The Odd Fellows was established in the United States in Baltimore in 1819 and separated from the English Order in 1843, when they took the name Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The society had over 3 million members in 1915 but membership declined during the Great Depression. They reportedly had nearly 500,000 members in 2000.
Death care, including funerals, is one of their major member benefits. Lodges usually purchase plots in an existing cemetery or establish a cemetery of their own where plots are sold to members at a modest fee.
Their female auxiliary, the Daughters of Rebekah, was established in 1851.